Nature of Job
Underwrite commercial lines of business according to company underwriting guidelines in order to maintain profits; communicate with agents, policyholders and other insurance professionals; provide help and direction to commercial lines underwriting processors.
- College education desired.
- Minimum of four years’ experience in Property and Casualty insurance preferred.
- Ability to understand and explain Goodville’s commercial lines of coverages.
- Highly effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and to exercise sound judgment based on company policies and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of each covered state’s insurance regulations and laws.
- Ability to organize and schedule work processing and manage priorities.
- Ability to work effectively with company computer systems and processing methods.
- Ability and willingness to occasionally travel in and out of state.
- Commitment to company values and customer service.
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain consistent underwriting profits for commercial lines of insurance.
- Review assigned new policy applications, renewals and change requests to existing policies to confirm that insured risks continue to meet acceptable company standards and guidelines.
- Review claim and underwriting files to determine adverse risks. Send warning letters or cancellation notices, or modify policy coverages as necessary.
- Analyze experience reports, isolate areas producing underwriting losses and develop methods to improve the experience.
- Review commercial lines underwriting guidelines and make recommendations for changes as needed.
- Work with staff responsible for product development and changes.
- Communicate with agents, policyholders and coworkers regarding underwriting matters.
- Assist with agency seminars, training and visits as needed.
- Request inspection reports, MVRs, CLUE and other insurance reports.
- Inform Underwriting Manager of agency and policyholder concerns.
- Maintain knowledge of current industry practices and developments through continuing education.
- Oversee commercial lines underwriting processing to facilitate accurate policy transactions.
- Train underwriting processors as needed.
- Assist agents in understanding and using automated processing systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Underwriting Manager.